Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Its official ... my ice cream maker is one of the best investments I have made as far as kitchen equipment ... especially in the summer!
This particular ice cream is so good and so creamy. If you like butter pecan ice cream, give this recipe a try asap!
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups half-and-half (if you do not have half-and-half, use half heavy cream and half milk)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small skillet over medium heat, saute the pecans in the butter until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside.
2. Combine the half-and-half and heavy whipping cream in a saucepan and heat them until they simmer.
3. Meanwhile, combine the eggs and the sugar. Mix well. Once the cream and half-and-half are simmering, add a few spoonfuls to the egg mixture. Stir to temper. Add a few more spoonfuls of cream mixture into the egg mixture. Stir to keep tempering. Once the egg mixture is slightly warmed, pour into the cream mixture. Stir and continue to simmer until the mixture can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Remove from heat. Add the vanilla and pecans.
5. Place in the refrigerator until completely cooled.
6. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers' directions.