Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
This week, I have already used my slow cooker TWICE! Yesterday I made a whole chicken in it, and today I am making Jambalaya Soup (recipe to come later). If you do not have a slow cooker, you are truly missing out!
I have made a whole chicken in the oven, had it on a bbq, and now in the slow cooker. They all have a slightly different taste. I would have to say that the slow cooker chicken might be my favorite. It is SO easy and literally fell off the bone. I don't have to be home standing over a bbq or oven to cover and uncover. If you are scared of cooking a whole chicken, be afraid no more. You can get a whole chicken on sale for cents per pound (the last ones I got were $0.69/pound).
This recipe is very versatile. You can change the spices, add vegetables to the slow cooker (i.e. onions, carrots, celery, etc...), or add fruit to the slow cooker or inside of the chicken (i.e. stuff the inside of the chicken with apple slices or put quartered lemon into the slow cooker) to change the flavor. The leftover chicken is great for making chicken salad sandwiches, soups, salads, etc... I will definitely be making this again.
1. Take a 1.5'-long strip of aluminum foil and crinkle in the shape of a worm. Turn that wormed aluminum foil into a circle by connecting the two ends. Place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
2. Remove the insides of the chicken (usually in a bag so you don't have to determine what's what) and rinse inside and out. Pat the chicken dry.
3. Season the chicken GENEROUSLY with poultry seasoning inside and out (be sure to get it everywhere and on both sides). Season with some paprika inside and out as well.
4. Place breast-side up (so the wings flap out and the pop-up thermometer is facing up (if you have one) on the aluminum foil so the chicken is not touching the bottom of the slow cooker.
5. Cook on high for one hour. Reduce heat to low and cook an additional 6-10 hours (based on the size of your chicken) until your pop-up thermometer pops up or the juices run clear.