Monday, November 7, 2011

Flour Tortillas (Without a Tortilla Press)


Every time I buy tortillas, they go bad before my family can eat the entire bag; so, when I saw this recipe here, I decided that I would third the recipe and give it a try (that way I only made 4 tortillas instead of 12). They were FANTASTIC! I am not going to lie to you and tell you how they taste like authentic tortillas straight from Mexico (I used to live right by the border and bought the real stuff by the dozens each week) because they do not. There is no lard being used, which is an essential ingredient in homemade Mexican tortillas. All that being said, I hope that I have not detoured you from trying this recipe because they are DELICIOUS. Personally, I will not buy tortillas again now that I have this recipe.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 heaping teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons shortening (or unsalted butter, softened)
3/4-1 cup water (I used closer to 1 cup)

Directions
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is crumbly, about 15 seconds. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and do it again so all of the flour is incorporated with the shortening.
2. While the food processor is running, add the water in a slow, steady stream until the dough just forms a ball.
3. Knead the dough ball on a floured surface for about 30 seconds, until the dough is tacky.
4. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and form into balls. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. On a floured surface, roll the balls into super thin tortillas (thinner than you would think because they expand slightly with the heat).
6. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Transfer the shaped tortillas to the heated skillet (one at a time) and cook each side until parts of it are golden brown (cooking it low and slow is better than burning a few of them).
7. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining tortillas. Store in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest