The basic concept of these roll ups can be upheld, while the filling can easily be manipulated. Try adding different cheeses, meats, vegetables, etc... to get your perfect combination of ingredients. If you come up with a good one, send me an email or leave me a comment with your adjustments. I would love to try your versions as well.
Ingredients for the Roll Ups
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp sour cream or plain greek yogurt
4 cups chicken, cubed
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 Tbsp butter, melted
2/3 cup bread crumbs (or Panko, crushed croutons, etc...)
2 cans PILLSBURY refrigerated crescent roll dough (if you don't use Pillsbury, they fall apart super easily)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper on your baking pan.
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken in 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. During the last 2 minutes of the chicken cooking, add the celery, carrots, and onion.
3. Combine chicken and vegetables (including juices in the pan), cream cheese, sour cream or plain greek yogurt. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place the triangles of crescent dough on a smooth surface. Press with your fingers to make the triangle as big as you can without it tearing or becoming too thin. Put 1/4 cup of the chicken cream cheese mixture on the crescent rolls. Roll the dough around filling and seal all the edges. Softly squish the ball in between your hands to pack everything in nice and tight.
5. Dip balls in melted butter. Cover with bread crumbs. Place on the parchment paper pan.
6. Cook at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for the Gravy
1 can cream of chicken soup (or my homemade recipe)
1/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt (to make it slightly healthier)
Milk to thin out the gravy if you do not like your gravy thick
Directions for the Gravy and Assembly
1. Combine the cream of chicken soup and sour cream or greek yogurt on a stove over medium heat (I used the same pan that I used to cook the chicken in).
2. Place rice on a plate. Top with roll ups and gravy.