Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Slow Cooker Jambalaya Soup


My husband is an assistant women's basketball coach at a D1 school so I get to go recruiting with him on a regular basis. Recently, we went to Brooklyn and I had Jambalaya Soup at a restaurant there. I searched and searched for a similar recipe that I could use to duplicate that incredible soup but couldn't find a thing. Since I was coming up with my own recipe, I obviously preferred to use the slow cooker. It turned out INCREDIBLE; it was just like the soup that I had in Brooklyn. This will definitely be a staple in our home this winter.

Ingredients
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or shredded (depending on how you cook it)
1 pound andouille sausage, diced in SMALL bite size pieces
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 14.5 ounce can tomato sauce
2 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper or chili powder (whatever you have on hand)
1 1/2 cups rice, cooked

Directions
1. Place everything into the slow cooker but the rice. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (I haven't tried it on high, but I am sure that it would work if you cooked it on high for 4 to 6 hours).
2. Add in the desired amount of rice to each individual bowl (I put a few tablespoons into the bottom of each bowl before dishing up the soup). Once the soup is cooked down, you can stir in the remaining rice (I do this because the rice seems to suck up all the soup juices, and it tends to get gummy because the hot soup overcooks the rice).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest