Friday, April 30, 2010
A good cheesecake recipe is hard to come by. Finally, you have found what you are looking for! This cheesecake is UNBELIEVABLE! You can substitute the topping to another fruit, chocolate, or other topping to make it more appealing to you. If you love cheesecake, you must give this one a try!
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 crackers)
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2 ½ pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
5 extra large eggs, at room temperature
2 extra large egg yolks, at room temperature
¼ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup red jelly (not jam)
3 half-pints fresh raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To make the crust, combine the graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter until moistened. Pour into a 9-inch springform pan. with your hands, press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan and about 1-inch up the sides. Bake for 8 minutes and then cool to room temperature.
3. Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
4. To make the filling, cream the cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium and add the eggs and egg yolks, 2 at a time, mixing well. Scrape down the bowl and beater, as necessary. With the mixer on low, add the sour cream, lemon zest, and vanilla. Mix thoroughly and pour into the cooled crust.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn the oven temperature down to 225 degrees F and bake for another 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and open the door wide. The cake will not be completely set in the center. Allow the cake to sit in the oven with the door open for 30 minutes. Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to sit at room temperatuer for another 2 to 3 hours, until completely cooled. Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
6. Remove the cake from the springform pan by carefully running a hot knife around the outside of the cake. Leave the cake on the botom of the springform pan for serving.
7. To make the topping, melt the jelly in a small pan over low heat. In a bowl, toss the raspberries and the warm jelly gently until well mixed. Arrange the berries on top of the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.