Friday, May 14, 2010
Red Baked Penne with Chicken
We cannot get enough simple, versatile, and delicious pasta recipes. This one is a crowd pleaser and can be easily adjusted for anyones taste buds! Looks like you have a new recipe for dinner tomorrow :)!
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
6 boneless skinless chicken tenders (I use the frozen ones from Costco)
1/4 cup flour
3 cups whole milk
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
1 cup shredded provolone cheese
3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the bottom of an baking dish.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 3 minutes short of al dente (about 7 minutes); drain pasta and return to pot.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; cook until opaque through, about 4 minutes each side. Remove from pan and cut into bite-size pieces.
4. In the pan that the chicken was cooked in, melt butter over medium heat. Add the flour; cook, whisking, 1 minute. While whisking, gradually add milk; bring to simmer whisking frequently (you are making a roux!). Add onions, red pepper, sun-dried tomatoes (and any other vegetables you want such as broccoli, green peppers, tomatoes, etc...); cook 1 minute.
5. Off heat, gradually stir in provolone and 1/2 of the parmesan cheese. Add chicken and pasta to pot; season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour into greased baking dish; sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
6. Bake uncovered until top is golden and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.