Friday, May 14, 2010
Sticky Pecan Upside-Down Baby Cakes
Everyone loves a sticky bun! How about one in cake form that even your kids could make? We recommend serving this with ice cream. Wow was this GREAT!
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/6 cup honey (just eyeball a half of a 1/3 measuring cup)
1 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 eggs (weird we know but we halved the recipe because the full one is much to big!)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 ounces sour cream (half of an 8 ounce container)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (we like to use vanilla paste, which is thicker and adds a more prominent vanilla taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. LIghtly coat six 3 1/2-inch (jumbo) muffin cups with spray; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, and honey. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
4. In a large bowl combine eggs and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium until mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Add oil, sour cream, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
5. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed until combined.
6. Place some of the pecan mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup (divide evenly; about 2 tablespoons). Spoon a heaping 1/3 cup batter into each cup. Place muffin cups on a large foil-lined baking sheet. (if you don't use foil, this is what will happen to your pan, although it came of very easily)
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers come out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes.
8. Using a knife, loosen the edges of cakes from sides of cups. Invert cakes onto parchment paper. Spoon remaining pecan mixture in muffin cups onto cakes. Serve warm or cooled completely. Delicious with ice cream!