Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Starbs Maple Oat Nut Scones
These scones are what you call FREAKING DELICIOUS! :) Super easy and a great way to start any day! Just imagine waking up in the morning and running out the door with one of these delectable beauties in your hand!
Ingredients for the Scone
1 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter (small pieces)
1 large egg
1/2 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon maple extract
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Ingredients for Glaze
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon maple extract
10 teaspoons water
Directions for the Scone
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Using a food processor or blender, finely grind oats.
3. Mix finely ground oats, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
4. Add maple syrup and butter. mix well.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg with the cream and maple extract with a fork.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Combine.
7. Add pecans and mix just to incorporate.
8. Place dough on a floured surface. Form dough into an 8 to 10 inch circle and cut into 8 wedges (just like a pizza).
9. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place wedges on top and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until light brown.
10. Remove scones from oven to wire rack. Let cool about 3 to 5 minutes.
Directions for the Glaze
1. Mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Spread lots of glaze over each scone and dry about 15 minutes before serving.