Thursday, June 3, 2010
Apple Streusel Muffins
I had some extra apples in the fridge that i wanted to use before they went bad. This recipe was absolutely AMAZING! Great for breakfast and kids are sure to love it as well!
Ingredients for Muffin
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 -2 medium apple (any kind works), peeled and grated
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon (more or less to taste)
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
Ingredients for Streusel
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
Directions for Muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in the bottom of your muffin tins.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil, and egg. Stir in apple, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in walnuts or pecans.
3. Pour batter into the muffin cups.
Directions for Streusel
1. Mix together all the ingredients. Spoon the streusel into the cups.
2. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the knife comes out clean (I used jumbo muffin tins so smaller ones won't need to cook as long).
3. Cool completely or eat warm.
If you want, you can put a glaze on these as well. Just throw together some powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk (or apple juice for more of an apple flavor).