Thursday, June 24, 2010
Coconut Beer (or Rootbeer) Battered Shrimp
This is one of my absolute favorite dishes. My dad makes it for me EVERY time that I come home. I prefer to have my with rootbeer because I do not like the sweet and tangy sauce (just empty calories to me). If you like the sweet and tangy sauce, that is where you will get most of your sweetness but I would much rather just get that from the rootbeer. Either way is delicious. It is sure to be a hit for any occasion.
Ingredients for Seasoning Mix
1 tablespoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Ingredients for Coating and Shrimp
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup fresh beer (or rootbeer)
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 dozen medium shrimp, peeled (but with tails on) and deveined (about 2 pounds)
3 cups grated coconut, about 6 ounces
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Ingredients for Sweet and Tangy Dipping Sauce
1 (18-ounce) jar orange marmalade, or 1 2/3 cups
5 tablespoons Creole mustard or brown mustard
5 tablespoons finely grated fresh horseradish or prepared horseradish
Directions for Shrimp
1. Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
2. In a separate bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the mix with the eggs, 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the beer (or rootbeer), and the baking powder; mix well, breaking up any lumps.
3. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix; set aside. Place the coconut in a separate bowl.
4. Sprinkle both sides of the shrimp with the remaining seasoning mix. Then, holding the shrimp by the tail, dredge each in the flour mixture, shaking off excess, then dip in batter (except for tail), allowing excess to drip off, and then coat generously with grated coconut and place on a baking sheet.
5. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees. Drop some of the shrimp, one at a time, into the hot oil and fry until golden brown (30 seconds - 1 minute on each side).
6. Drain on paper towels. Serve with our without sweet and tangy dipping sauce.
Directions for Sweet and Tangy Dipping Sauce
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. (Makes about 2 1/2 cups)