Monday, August 23, 2010

White Texas Sheet Cake


This is yet another recipe from my Paula Deen Best Desserts Magazine. I am telling you, you must buy this magazine (or just use my blog because you know I will be posting recipes). I get mine at Costco but they are carried at book stores and some grocery stores. You will NOT regret it!

Anyways, this was another recipe that one of my best friends sisters saw in my magazine and she just had to make it. To my surprise, at her next family gathering (which of course I went to because they are basically my family) her sister brought this as a dessert. I could not stop eating it! This was my first encounter with this absolutely fantastic dessert. So, of course, I had to try it myself at a later date and it was just as delicious as I remember. It is a perfect dessert for the summer or for those of you who are not fans of chocolate.

Ingredients for Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon almond extract

Ingredients for Butter Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped

Directions for Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 15x10-inch cookie sheet with nonstick baking spray and coat with flour.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine butter and water; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
4. Add butter mixture to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in sour cream, eggs, and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 22 to 25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).

Directions for Butter Frosting
1. In a medium saucepan, combine butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk in almond extract.
3. Gradually whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth.

Directions for Assembly
1. Spread WARM cake with Butter Frosting. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cut into triangles to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest