Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Moroccan Stew

During the cold of winter, there is nothing better than a warm bowl of soup or stew. While I was visiting my mom, she introduced me to this DELICIOUS and simple recipe. Even my husband, who is the pickiest eater ever, really liked it. So hearty and simple.

Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of this soup. I hate cooking something without a picture so the next time I make this delicious stew, I will upload a picture.

Ingredients for the Chicken
1 chicken
1 onion, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
1 bunch of fresh parsley
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick
Salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients for the Stew
2 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons dried mint
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 to 1 red chili's seeds removed, finely chopped (to taste)
1 cup couscous
Cilantro and fresh lemon (for garnish)

Directions for the Chicken
1. Put all the ingredients together in a pot and just cover with water. Boil until chicken is cooked and can be shredded easily.
2. Strain the chicken and save the broth.

Directions for the Stew
1. Put broth back in pan and reduce to about five cups.
2. In a sauce pan with oil cook the onions until translucent.
3. Add the cooked onions, cumin, paprika, sugar, mint, and tomato paste to the reduced broth. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add shredded chicken back into the reduced and spiced broth.
5. Add 1 cup couscous. Cook until the couscous is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest