Sunday, March 20, 2011
The BEST Lemon Bars
The first time that I ever had a lemon bar was when I worked at a bakery. I instantly fell in love! They are so DELICIOUS! I didn't even know I liked lemon desserts. Since working at the bakery, I have been on the hunt for a good lemon bar recipe. I have found that most just do not cook very well. I heard my grandma had a good recipe so I decided to give it a try. It was FANTASTIC! Old fashioned, light but sweet, and it had the perfect amount of lemon flavoring. If you like lemon bars, look no further for the perfect recipe!
Ingredients for the Crust
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Ingredients for the Filling
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
Directions for the Crust
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Combine the butter, flour, and powdered sugar. Pat in the bottom of the pan and bake for 20 minutes (the crust should be barely golden brown).
Directions for the Filling
1. Beat the eggs very well. Add the sugar and mix until well combined.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Mix until fully incorporated.
3. Pour over the hot crust. Bake 25 more minutes. Cool completely before serving.
Note: Some people like to top these lemon bars with a butter type frosting (butter, powdered sugar, milk or cream, and some lemon juice). They are fantastic by themselves and do not need frosting but if you can afford the calories, give it a whirl!