Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spanish Chicken and Chorizo Paella


There is not many things that I enjoy more than watching Food Network while I work out. Whenever I go to the gym (we have our own treadmill in our house so going to the gym is rare), people always make fun of me for watching Food Network while I run. Today, I saw Paula Deen (seriously LOVE her) make this dish. I knew that I had to give it a try as soon as I saw it. I guess tonight was the night. The whole dish took about an hour from start to finish but it was definitely worth it. It was creamy, hearty, filling, and just down right great. I only dirtied one pan ... love that! And a lot of the time was just letting the dish cook. This dish was so good! I am so full but I am already thinking about eating the leftovers tomorrow!

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
1 or 2 boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika or ground red pepper to taste
1 large onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 pound Spanish style chorizo links, cut into bite size pieces
2 cups short-grain rice (I used Arborio which can be found at Walmart)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen green peans

Directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a very large shallow skillet or very large pot. Season the chicken all over with salt, pepper, and paprika (or ground red pepper). Cook the chicken until browned all over. Transfer to a plate with tongs (the chicken will finish cooking later).
2. Lower the heat to medium and saute the onion and bell pepper until softened. 
3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and chorizo.
4. Bring the liquid to a boil and stir in the rice (the rice should be completely covered with liquid). Add the browned chicken pieces. Cook without stirring for 20 minutes.
5. When the liquid has all been absorbed, pour the peas over the top of the pot. Turn off the heat and cover the pot with a kitchen towel. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest