Friday, April 8, 2011
French Peasant Bread
My sister-in-law made this bread for my husband and me one night. I instantly fell in love with it! Since, I have made this bread almost every other week. If you need a new simple homemade bread recipe, give this one a try. You will not be disappointed!
1 package of yeast (2 1/2 tsp)
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups flour
Corn meal (if desired)
1. Mix yeast, water and sugar and salt in warm water and stir until dissolved.
2. Add flour and stir until blended. Do not knead. Cover and let rise until double
in size (about one hour).
3. Divide dough in two and place dough on an oiled cookie
sheet. (Sprinkle with cornmeal, if desired) Let rise additional hour.
4. Brush top with melted butter and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake additional 15 minutes. Do NOT take the bread out when you reduce the
5. Remove from oven and brush bread again with butter.