Thursday, April 21, 2011

Outback Macaroni and Cheese


This is somewhat disgusting and embarrassing to admit, but it is time to tell you about one of my many guilty pleasures. Whenever I go to Outback, I have to order their macaroni and cheese. There is something about the super creamy, cheesy pasta that I cannot resist! Velveta was on sale at the grocery store this week, so I decided that it was time to try and make some for myself.

Wow! This was delicious! It only took about 12 minutes to make from start to finish and I cannot stop eating it. I have to admit that there is nothing healthy about this dish but it is so worth it. You only live once!

Now what I am about to tell you may make you think that I am crazy (as if you do not think that I am crazy for loving Velveta macaroni and cheese) and do not know what I am talking about, but please just trust me on this one! I have made numerous people try what I am about to tell you, and everyone really likes it. At first, they say that there is no way that they will try it but after just one bite, it becomes a regular meal. When I was in college, my best friend (Brynn) and I would have this after school on countless occasions. Now for the secret that will change your life ... Once your macaroni and cheese is made and ready to eat, add a can of kidney beans (only name brand, normally I can eat off brand items but this is one of those things that you cannot skimp on) and a can of corn. Mix together and eat! Easily one of my favorite meals!

Ingredients
12 ounces rigatoni pasta (or your favorite pasta shape)
1/2 pound Velveta
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 cups milk

Directions
1. Prepare the rigatoni using the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter and add flour, stirring constantly. When the flour mixture thickens, slowly add the milk, salt, and paprika (you are basically making a roux). Stir until sauce begins to thicken.
3. Add the cheese cubes and stir until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth.
4. Pour the drained pasta into the sauce and stir until well combined (add the kidney beans and corn for added deliciousness!!!!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest