For "Foto Friday," this is a picture of my son in his snow suit. Clearly, he enjoys eating his outfit (I am also well aware that I should cut off the tags on my pillow).
This chicken adobe chowder definitely resembles the INCREDIBLE but discontinued chicken adobe chowder from California Pizza Kitchen. It is SO good! With the cold weather and slight snow, I couldn't resist making this hearty soup. DELICIOUS! If you liked the chicken adobe chowder from California Pizza Kitchen, give this a try!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 can green chilies (freeze the other half in plastic wrap)
1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce (freeze the rest in plastic wrap individually), deseeded and diced
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
2 boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
2 cans chicken broth
1 can cream corn
1/2 cup corn
3/4 cup rice (5 minute rice)
1/2 cup whole milk or heavy whipping cream
Cilantro for garnish
1. Place the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper until the vegetables are soft and beginning to color.
2. Add the green chilies, chipotle pepper, paprika, cumin, pepper, and salt and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken, stirring frequently, and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Pour in the chicken broth and bring the soup to a full rolling boil. Stir in the creamed corn and corn. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
5. Add the rice and heavy cream or milk and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes (or until the rice is super tender).
6. Top with cilantro if desired.