Tuesday, February 28, 2012
I had to make some chocolate mousse for someone this past week. I tried out this recipe and it was amazing. I ate so much of it I was sick! Why not spice up your dessert tonight and make this? I already had all the ingredients on hand. It was super easy so no need to be scared of attempting to make chocolate mousse. You will not be disappointed!
If you want to be super fancy, you can make layers using varying levels of the stiff peaked whipped cream (this will leave some of it darker and some of it lighter).
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1 1/2 cups whipping (heavy) cream
1. Beat egg yolks in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
2. Gradually beat in sugar.
3. Heat 1 cup whipping cream in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until hot. Gradually stir at least half of the hot whipping cream into egg yolk mixture; stir back into hot cream in saucepan. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (do not boil).
4. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, just until chilled.
5. Beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream in chilled medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff.
6. Fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream. Pipe or spoon mixture into serving bowls. Immediately refrigerate any remaining dessert after serving.