Monday, July 1, 2013

Seedless Raspberry Cake Filling


This is my absolute favorite raspberry filling. Actually, probably my favorite filling in general. Any time that someone has this filling, they are constantly talking about how amazing it is. I use it both in cupcakes and between cake layers. And if you are lucky enough to have a little leftover, it is great on pancakes, ice cream, or plain and eaten with a spoon.

Ingredients
12 oz frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch

Directions

1. Thaw raspberries.
2. With a fine wire strainer, use a spoon to press the raspberries so that the seedless pulp falls into a bowl below.  Strain enough pulp to get between 1/3 - 1/2 cup of pulp (I usually get close to the 3/4 cup). (You can skip this step and just use the whole berries, but people at weddings and parties don't like to pick seeds out of their teeth). Add enough water to equal 3/4 cups.
3. In a small saucepan, combine raspberry juice/water, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch.  Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture bubbles and thickens (remember it will continue to thicken as it cools).  Remove from heat, set aside.
4. Cool and place in the refrigerator for up to a week.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I'm going to try this with a vanilla cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this shelf stable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What quantity does this recipe come out to in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not shelf stable would be my guess and that jar is an 8 ounce jar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty good! Hope I can convince my husband this will be good rather than frosting between my cake layers. I think next time I won't do 2 heaping TBS's of cornstarch. I felt it was too much since I could very much taste the cornstarch

      Delete
  6. Ok, it appears my initial post disappeared into the ether, so I'll try again...

    I went to pick up the ingredients so I could try out this recipe. Unfortunately, there werent any frozen raspberries at the store, so I bought fresh ones. Do you they will suffice or do I need to just find frozen ones somehow? Any advice you can provide would be highly appreciated :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just use the fresh or freeze the fresh ones then they with be frozen

      Delete
  7. do you know if this freezes well after you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worked great! Thanks. Was looking for a recipe without pectin. I used fresh raspberries. Hardest part was straining the seeds, but worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this recipe, going on a lemon sponge with lemon whipped cream. Found this to do with the seeds!raspberry vinegar! https://gardenforestfield.com/2013/10/22/raspberries-cordial-jam-vinegar/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can this be frozen?

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest