Sunday, June 2, 2013
Cranberry Apple Stuffed Pork Loin
STOP what you are doing, go straight to the store, and get all these ingredients so you can make this TONIGHT! Do not wait another second. It is that good. Honestly, one of my new favorite meals.
This meal is one you could do for a holiday to impress everyone, yet easy enough to do on a week night. I made this for my parents last week and they are still talking about it!
1 boneless pork loin (about 3 pounds)
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup seasoned croutons
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup peeled, chopped green apples
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped, toasted
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Rinse the pork and pat it dry. Butterfly the roast by first cutting lengthwise about halfway through the roast. Then, angle the knife and cut horizontally almost all the way through, on both sides. Unfold the pork and cut tiny slits in the surface of the meat. Cover with 2 layers of plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet (or rolling pin if you do not have a meat mallet) to flatten as much as possible. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Place croutons and stock in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes, until the croutons have softened. Mash up the croutons a bit with a fork.
4. Add in the apples, walnuts, cranberries, shallots, and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
5. Spread the mixture over the pork. Roll up the pork and tie it together with kitchen twine (or floss or thread if you do not have kitchen twine) in 3 or 4 different spots.
6. At this point, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator if you are making this ahead of time.
7. Coat the bottom of a roasting pan with cooking spray or a little olive oil. Place the roast in the pan and cook at 325, uncovered, for about 1 hour and ten minutes, or until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 140-145 degrees. Start checking the internal temperature of the roast at about one hour. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the kitchen string an dslice in to 1/2-inch thick slices.