Friday, April 30, 2010
7 Layer Bars
We have never seen a 7 Layer Bar where it says that you should toast the coconut but it definitely makes this dessert a winner.
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
5 oz. (one sleeve) graham crackers
8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup butterscotch chips
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Spread the coconut over a sheet pan. Place the stick of butter in the prepared baking pan. Put the baking pan and the sheet pan in the oven for about 6 to 7 minutes. The butter should be completely melted and the coconut lightly toasted.
4. While the butter is melting and the coconut is toasting, crush the graham crackers in a ziplock bag to achieve a mixture of crumbs, bits and chunks.
5. Spread the graham cracker crumbs over the melted butter and toss lightly with a fork, directly in the pan, until all the butter is absorbed and the crumbs are evenly distributed over the bottom of the pan.
6. In order, sprinkle the nuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and toasted coconut over the graham cracker crumbs. Pour the condensed milk evenly over the entire dish.
7. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours. Remove the bars from the pan using the foil and transfer to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars of your desired size.
If you do not like chocolate, these are great without chocolate as well. Can also be served warm with ice cream.