Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Split Pea Soup
The best tasting healthy thing we have ever eaten :)!
8 cups water
1 pound dried split peas
2-pound smoked ham (bone-in)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 medium carrots, diced
2 medium stalks of celery, diced
1. Heat water and peas to boiling; boil for 2 minutes.
2. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
3. Stir ham (including bone), onion, salt, and pepper into peas. Heat to boiling and reduce heat.
4. Cover and simmer until peas are tender (about 1 hour). Skim fat, if necessary.
5. Remove ham and put ham into bite-size pieces. Stir ham, carrots, and celery into soup. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 45 minutes).