This recipe calls for a slow cooker, which I think is one of the best additions to any kitchen. You throw a couple things in it in the morning, turn it on, walk away, and by the time that you are ready for dinner, a perfect meal is ready for you! If you do not have a slow cooker, you should really consider purchasing one. They are not very expensive; yet, they will make anyone's life much easier when it comes to making a delicious meal for your or your family.
WOW! All I can say is WOW! This is absolutely fantastic! I saw the idea for this recipe in a cookbook that my friend, Brynn, got me. I changed up a few things and you can do the same with my recipe to make it your own as well. This recipe would be great on pasta or even on a tortilla to make a fantastic taco! It is very healthy and bursting with loads of flavor. I cannot wait to dive into the left overs tomorrow! This is a never fail recipe that should be a staple in any diet.
Frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breasts or tenders (Depending on how many people you are making this for will dictate how much chicken you use. Also, if you only have chicken that is not frozen that will work to.)
Taco seasoning (or just salt and pepper if you would prefer)
1 bottle of your favorite thick and chunky salsa (if you do not have a full bottle that is fine, you just need a least a big dollop on each piece of chicken)
1 can of corn (or frozen corn if you would prefer)
1 can of your favorite beans, if desired (black, kidney, pinto, etc...)
Onions (green and yellow) chopped, if desired
Tomatoes, chopped, if desired
1 cup cheese, shredded, if desired
2 cups rice
2 cups chicken broth, if desired instead of water
1. Put the frozen chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Season with the taco seasoning or salt and pepper.
2. Top with salsa (you do not need to cover all the chicken if you do not want to, a big dollop is just fine).
3. Add the corn (frozen or canned), beans, onions, tomatoes, etc...
4. Set the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
5. Just before the food is done, cook the rice with chicken broth or water in a pan on the stove or in a rice cooker.
6. To plate, place the rice down first, then add the mixture from the slow cooker, and top with cheese if desired (the cheese will melt on its own).