Sunday, December 26, 2010

Post Christmas Potato Ham Chowder


I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas! My husband made Christmas dinner (including a ham) that was unbelievable! I have been very excited about coming up with great ham recipes to share with you all because we have a ton of leftovers.

Tonight, my husband made this chowder. It was TO DIE FOR! If you have any leftover ham and need something to keep you warm (especially with the crazy rain and snow all across the country), you must give this a try! It is so comforting and hearty. I cannot wait to eat it again tomorrow (if I wasn't so full, I would keep eating it tonight)!

If you want something a little bit lighter, you can try the Split Pea Soup that I posted last May. Or just have this chowder since you know you aren't starting your diets until the first of the year anyway. I hope you enjoy this delicious chowder as much as I did.

Ingredients
6 small red potatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 can (or 2 cups) chicken broth
1 cup water
3 tablespoons butter
1 -2 cups milk (depending on desired consistency)
1/8 cup flour
1 can cream corn
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup carrots, finely diced (I used a Cuisenart)
2 cups cooked ham, diced
1 1/2 - 2 cups cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream, for garnish

Directions
1. In a large pot, combine potatoes, onion, chicken broth, water, and butter. Bring to a boil and boil until the potatoes are tender.
2. Add cream corn, frozen corn, carrots, ham, and cheese to the potato mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and flour so there are no lumps. Add the milk mixture to the chowder, slowly, until you reach your desired consistency.
4. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a dollop of sour cream (It really puts this dish over the top).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest