Monday, December 6, 2010

Turkey Tetrazzini


I think this will be my last turkey recipe for a while. I have had WAY too much turkey in the past two weeks. It has all been so delicious but having it for lunch (as leftovers) and dinner (as a new recipe) has me craving some different meats. I froze the rest of the turkey so you can expect other turkey recipes sometime in the future. (Yes, you can freeze cooked turkey. If that is not brilliant, I do not know what is!)

I was asking my mom last night if she knew of any other turkey recipes that I could make (because I seriously have an endless supply of turkey from the massive turkey I bought). She suggested this Turkey Tetrazzini. It was UNREAL! So creamy, so easy, so good! I will definitely be making this over and over, year after year! This is another recipe that you can easily substitute the turkey for chicken if you do not have anymore leftover turkey.

Ingredients
12 ounces spaghetti noodles (I prefer penne)
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 1/2 cups cooked turkey, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Directions
1. Cook the spaghetti noodles until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Place the al dente spaghetti noodles in the baking dish.
3. In a saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring with a whisk until the flour mixture begins to darken (about 2 minutes). Gradually whisk in the chicken broth until the sauce is smooth and thickened (3-5 minutes).
4. Whisk in the heavy cream. Add the nutmeg. Salt and pepper the mixture to taste.
5. Stir in the onion, celery, peas, and turkey. Heat through.
6. Pour the cream mixture over the pasta in the 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the parmesan over the sauce.
7. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and bubbly (about 20 minutes). Turn on the broiler and quickly brown the top of the casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest