Sunday, August 21, 2011

THE BEST EVER TOASTED COCONUT ICE CREAM (AKA PURE HEAVEN)


Have you ever been to Coronado, California? If you have you have probably seen or been to Moo Time. I absolutely LOVE that place. I used to wait tables with the guy who now manages one of them. Anyways, my favorite ice cream ever is their toasted coconut ice cream. I have tried so many coconut ice cream recipes attempting to get something similar to the UNBELIEVABLE coconut ice cream there. Every recipe that I have tried has failed MISERABLY! Putting that Coco Lopez stuff doesn't work. It doesn't freeze very well so if you don't eat it all right away, it gets icy (not to mention it doesn't taste that great).

So what do I do rather than just give up? I called the shop and asked for the recipe! And because I spoke directly with the guy who I used to work with, I got the recipe! Not exact proportions but I played around with them and think that I have something VERY similar! I am drooling just thinking about it! OMG IS IT GOOD! Seriously ... I am not kidding ... it is the best! Nothing even compares!

Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Coconut Monin (or the coconut flavoring that they use at Starbucks)
3/4 cup coconut, toasted (I also like to blend it in a Cuisenart so the pieces are not so big)
1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped (or you can melt the chocolate with some oil and put chocolate ribbons in the ice cream ... I like this better but it takes more time)

Directions
1. Combine 1 cup of the cream with the sugar and salt in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar completely is dissolved.
2. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 cup of cream, whole milk, vanilla extract and Coconut Monin. Place in the refrigerator until mixture is cold.
3. Put into your ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturers instructions.
4. Place the coconut and chocolate chips in during the last 2 minutes of churning.
5. Pour into an airtight container and place into the freezer for storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest