Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chewy Dense Brownies with Peppermint Frosting


When I think of a go to brownie recipe, I think of one that has the simplest ingredients. And by simplest, I mean ingredients that you have every day in your house. Seriously, who has unsweetened chocolate on a regular basis (not to mention it is rather expensive)? Not me! So my brownie recipe calls for cocoa powder. So good! So chewy! So dense! And concerning this peppermint frosting ... UNREAL! I could eat this stuff by the spoonfuls (and I definitely do). Easily my favorite treat during the Christmas season!

Also, I am going away for the holidays and am not sure how great my posting will be. I might post a few recipes here and there; otherwise I will be back January 1 (where is the time going?!). I am sorry I never posted recipes for the macaroons and peppermint bark popcorn. I am still working on perfecting those two recipes. They still might show up before the month is over though :).

Ingredients for the Brownie
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions for the Brownies
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
2. In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and light yellow.
3. Add both sugars. Mix until combined.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix to combine.
5. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan and bake for 45 minutes. Check for doneness by testing with a toothpick until it comes out clean.

Ingredients for the Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 8-ounce cream cheese, softened
16 ounces powdered sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract

Directions for the Frosting
1. Cream together the butter and cream cheese.
2. Add the powdered sugar and extract. Mix until creamy.
3. Frost the cooled brownies with frosting and top with crushed candy canes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest