Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Slow Cooker Brussel Sprouts


I know I have been so spouratic with my posting lately. I am going on a two week vacation and will have few or no posts until the beginning of April. Once I get back, I should be much more reliable with my MWF posts again.


I LOVE brussel sprouts, but my husband HATES them. Since he is gone, I figured that I would try this recipe out. I thought it was fantastic. It reminded me of artichoke hearts. Who doesn't love those? And it has hardly any calories, which allowed me to eat a few extra cookies tonight :).


Ingredients

1 pound brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (ooh la la, fancy)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup water

Directions
1. Use a 2-quart slow cooker. Wash and trim the ends off of each Brussels sprout, and cut in half. Toss into the cooker. 
2. Add butter, mustard, salt, pepper, and water. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or on high for 2 to 3. 
3. Stir well to distribute the sauce before serving. The sprouts on the edge get brown and bit crispy on the outer edge. This is a good, and not something to worry about!

Note: If you do not have Dijon Mustard, here is the recipe that I use (seriously who can eat the entire bottle of Dijon Mustard before its expired ... don't waste your money again).

Dijon Mustard

Ingredients
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar -- (or 1/2 white wine, 1/2 white vinegar
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
pinch sugar

Directions
1. Mix all ingredients.

Yield: 2 tablespoons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest