Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Slow Cooker Stroganoff
So, my husband HATES mushrooms (and I am not that fond of them unless they are so small you can barely even see them). Obviously most stroganoff's have mushrooms in them. I decided to give mine a whirl without mushrooms and see if it could still be just as good and have just enough stroganoff flavor. This stroganoff was SO good! Easily my new favorite stroganoff recipe.
I have been making EVERYTHING in my slow cooker lately because it has been so dang hot outside (and we don't have AC); this recipe is no exception. Last week I made this stroganoff recipe, No Bean Chili (and put it over rice), and Salsa Chicken. All were so good and so easy!
2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
1 cup chopped onion
1 can condensed golden mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken because that was what I had on hand but cream of mushroom works as well)
1 can condensed cream of onion soup (if you have never used this before, you are missing out because it is SO good)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 ounce cream cheese, if desired
6 cups hot cooked noodles or rice
1. Season (with salt and pepper) and brown your stew meat in a skillet over high heat (about 2-3 minutes per side). You may need to do this in batches depending on how big your pan is. Transfer to the slow cooker. (I do this with all my slow cooker meats because it keeps everything much more moist)
2. Add the chopped onions and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the ketchup, pepper, and tomato paste. Stir and cook for an additional minute. Add the water to deglaze the pan completely. Stir until everything is off the bottom of the pan (about a minute or so).
3. Pour over the meat in the slow cooker. Add the condensed soups to the slow cooker and stir.
4. Cook on low for 8-10 hours until meat is tender.
5. Add the sour cream and cream cheese (if desired). Stir until combined (you might need to continue cooking for another 15 minutes on low to ensure everything is well mixed).
6. Serve over noodles or rice.